November 7, 2011

Dikili & Izmir



Dikili, Turkey

Dikili… our port for November 3rd and 4th, a quaint little town with beautiful ‘blue flag’ beaches. This port is nice because the ship is docked in the city center, so we can walk off the ship instead of taking a bus. Since I’ve gotten here I’ve been trying to get a workout routine down…between running, the gym, the ocean and the pool (which involves swimming on my static cord in one spot needless to say I’ll be looking for some other cardio activities). Marc, the head sommelier is from Canada and has become my new running partner. He used to do, and still teaches Mai Tai, so I’m gonna get some free lessons while onboard! Yesterday, we decided to ditch the regular tour bus or excursion and explore the town going for a run between shifts. I actually enjoyed the run a lot, it was like I became a part of the daily living routine in dikili…we ran past peoples home, people outside washing cars, reading… etc. it was nice to just see the way they lived, rather than going to a site that probably has no real significance to me.
Today, the second day in Dikili…I decided to take a little me time and go on a solo adventure. Walking along the shore, I suddenly got this urge to swim…I just wanted to swim. I missed the movements, the motion, the feeling of my body riding on top of the water…so, even though there is not one single person in the water on a 26km long beach…. I go for it! I was expecting cold, but the water was freezing! I could tell people were looking at me like “is she out of her mind”, I didn’t care…I kept going. Eventually my body just became numb in certain spots so I couldn’t feel the cold any longer. I was just so in the moment, feeling every stroke, pull, kick and finish. It was wonderful…even in the cold, I think I snapped out of my little bubble about 1000 meters in and then decided to run back to my bag (which wasn’t very much fun), but still worth it. I love this picture…definitely captures my mood of that moment, and though it was cold…it was a beautiful afternoon, and just the thing I needed to refresh myself!

Back to work… Sailing tonight. Izmir, Turkey in the morning.
Izmir, Turkey

I don’t have time to write about Izmir right now…but here are a few hints & pictures…a night out on the town, a lonesome/dangerous walk home and a cheesy tourist bus tour! Pictures from Izrmir below…
We are now in Kusadasi Turkey scheduled to leave tomorrow night and will be at sea for two days en route to Hafia, Israel… 


Beautiful but FREEEZZINNGG beach that I swam at! 

After... I tried to play like I wasn't freezing here :)
A little dancing... 
After some Turkish Tapas & Beer! 


1 comment:

  1. I am soooooo proud of you!!! and soooo excited for you!!! This will be a GREAT adventure. I look forward to reading your weekly posts! Fantastic opportunity to travel the seas.

    Smooth Sailing!!
    Dr. D.

    ReplyDelete