December 19, 2011

Chef Alana~!



12-16-11

Part of my internship is to rotate through various departments in order to understand the entire operation of the ship, specifically the F&B department. The past few days I was transformed into Sushi Chef Alana! On my first night in the sushi bar-after a short lesson that morning, I joined the Executive Sushi Chef Cipriano in working on the sushi orders for that evening. At around 6 o o’clock, we got an order for 3 rolls from In Residence Dining. Cipriano pulls out a sheet of seaweed paper and starts on the first roll, while I proceed to do the same. I start making the second roll and he turns to me and says “What are you doing?” I say, “I’m making the other roll”…he smiles with a bit of a shocked look on his face and then says “wow, you’re aggressive aren’t you, I like that”-so, after a few laughs we proceed. As we get more comfortable throughout the night he tells me that he’s never had someone come in and just take charge so quickly, but hey I figured, I had learned in the morning from his Assistant, so now it was time to get in there & help. I was confused…but apparently, I’m out of the norm. I guess I have a few skills though, because I made rolls all night-the more simple ones of course-but still! He said it takes people weeks to be able to do what I did in one day-and that if I ever wanted to be a chef I would be a great sushi chef J I felt pretty proud J

I also spent a few days in pastry-which I absolutely loved! The one thing I miss about being at home is cooking! I can’t wait to come back & try all the new recipes and tips I’ve learned. Part of Christmas onboard is 30 custom made gingerbread houses which I was lucky enough to help with.

Here are a few pictures from my short lived, but very exciting days as Chef Alana. 

 A little gingerbread house action...30 in total! 


Some of the almost finished products 





No comments:

Post a Comment