December 19, 2011

Christmas Memories


12-17-10

Christmas is soon approaching…but honestly, it doesn’t feel like Christmas to me. This is the first time I will be without any family during Christmas, I’m a little sad-but still so grateful for all the wonderful Christmases I’ve been able to enjoy in the past, and I’m sure this one will go in the books as well. It’s funny that out of the three Dillette children, I am the youngest and only girl-but somehow I became the first to not come home for Christmas.

I was laying out on the deck the other night while we were sailing and I got to thinking about a few past Christmas memories, one in particular, our family trip to Disney world in…?? Not sure, but I was maybe 7 or 8. We visited all the parks…magic kingdom, universal studios etc. We kept going on all these kiddie rides you know-watching the little Disney movies etc and finally I decided I wanted to go on a “scary” big kids ride- Space Mountain. And can you believe, that no one wanted to go with me? My whole family was scared to go! My two big brothers, my dad and mom, they all thought I was crazy. Of course, I didn’t care-I was willing to go alone, as the ‘aggressive’ adventurer I seem to be, but Daddy wouldn’t let me go along & ended up coming with me. I was just reflecting on this story and how it was one of so many shaping experiences that have made me the person I am today. Without that strong support of my family, there is no way I’d be here today adventuring along the African Cape.

When I decided to apply for this internship, I didn’t even think twice about the support I would get from my family-nor did I think at all about the fact that I would be traveling through the most dangerous pirate waters in the world-but hey, what would life be like if we thought about eveeerryything before we did it right? Nope-I just called home one day and said, I’m going on The World! 

I will be missing you all! 

A few pictures from a late night of Christmas decorating on the ship...and a few pictures of great Christmas memories!







I guess we've grown a bit? 


Even though we talked bad about your pie...I'm gonna miss it this year mummy :) Eat an extra slice for me!

My first snowy Christmas! 


My two beautiful Grandmothers


Definitely a Daddy's girl


Christmas 2009 after an afternoon of kiteboarding 






No comments:

Post a Comment