December 19, 2011

Maputo, Mozambique!


MAPUTO!

12-16-11

We are now in Maputo where there are hurricane force winds, but no worries…the captain turned up the engines so we would get here a few hours earlier and avoid the open sea once the winds picked up. I went for a run this morning, the city is pretty nice, a bit dirty and congested, but that was to be expected. The water is brown so I didn’t go in this time around. However, I did go out this afternoon to the local market where they had small shacks selling amazing woodwork, fabrics, bags, paintings, jewelry etc. It was very art inspired, there were so many things I wanted to buy there…but then I thought of how much they would collect dust and probably get put into a closet eventually. So I took my mothers wise advice and went for a painting. As you can see from the pictures, there were a few hundred of them flying freely in the wind for us tourists to select from. As soon as I entered the market, one of them caught my eye and I kept thinking about it my whole walk through, but decided I would take a look around before choosing that one. First of all-it was massive, extremely colorful and had a pretty unique look to it…but I loved it! Not quite sure where I will put it yet…but I have this vision of having a room one day with a wall full of paintings I’ve bought all over the world-kind of a creative inspiration board-just a thought, but for now they will have to be happy in my little auburn apartment. I was also lucky enough to meet the artist himself Jhamba-(or so I understood him to say it that way-but we had a little trouble communicating).

Here are a few pictures from the market below.  


The many many beautiful paintings to choose from!


With the artist himself...and the painting that caught my eye! I know-I have weird taste, but I love it :P!



I resisted buying yet another bag... but they were also beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment