December 11, 2011

An eye opener...

11-9-12


Today was my first day in Africa. We’ve been in Madagascar for a few days but only to remote places, jungles and beaches etc. Today we docked in a city called Toasmsina and I got off during my break to look around. It was so sad, I had to hold tears back. I was walking through town and some markets and there were children everywhere begging for money. The city was filthy and so were these children. One little girl followed me for ten minutes as I walked down the street. Another little girl (about 5 or so) was holding a new born baby and begging for money & food. I know that this place probably isn’t near the worst off on this continent…but I just couldn’t take it. I felt so helpless because I couldn’t do anything to help them-when I looked into their eyes, I saw so many different personalities that could become something great-but they won’t, they’ll never see the success that they have the potential for. and I got so mad because some of the others that were with me were just stopping and taking pictures like they were a spectacle. I so badly want to help, want to do something meaningful-something I’m passionate about because I have the chance, the abilities, the means.  I’m afraid though, afraid that I will end up like the rest of them-seeing the poor underprivileged people and feeling bad about it, but then just moving on with my life as normal. I so badly want to be able to do something, I know I can’t do everything-but something. We are so easily wrapped up in our own life and upward movement that this kind of thing is much easier said than done.

Anyways…just some thoughts I wanted to share. I can’t stop thinking about those little children, it seriously broke my heart, it makes me never want to want anything ever again-because I have so much more than I need already. It makes me never want to cry or feel sad about anything again, because in comparison I have nothing to feel that way about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment