December 11, 2011

A tiny piece of heaven


12-9-11 Tolognaro (Port Dauphin) Madagascar Expedition 


Unfortunately, this story has no pictures to go along with it…so I’ll try to use a few big words to brighten up the images in your mind, but I make no promises, just use your imagination. I must say though…it is definitely worth a read.

It’s funny how so many little things happen in order for an end result to occur. We usually think of this only when trying to map out a path to reach a certain goal, decision or end point. But this happens every single second of every day. Today for example is an unusual day because we are docked in Tolognara only until 4 p.m. which means that most crew will not get to go out all because that is exactly when our break usually falls. I on the other hand got conveniently called after my morning meeting and asked if I wanted to go for a run around 11 (which I usually don’t finish work until 2:00-but of course, my running partner is the F&B Manager…and seeing as he makes my schedule-well, you get the picture, I went for the run.

This comment is kind of irrelevant-but just a note to anyone who plans on running 10k in Madagascar anytime soon-11 a.m is not the best time to go running…for various obvious reasons that I chose to ignor.

To say the least, coming from a Bahamian-the heat here ain nothing to play with. I literally had to will my body to keep going. Anyways…because it was so hot, and because Ludovic was about 15 mins behind me-what did I decide to do? Duhhh-go for a swim on a beach where there was nobody except for a few old wooden canoes! I hesitated for about .5 of a second contemplating whether or not an empty beach should signal danger, or just a quiet place-I opted to go in-and luckily for me I did, or maybe it was just meant to be. It was amazing, and absolutely needed after that run! I dunked myself under a few times and then went to sit up on the beach for a few minutes before heading back.

The next moment I turn around I see three little girls walking cautiously towards me smiling, but a little nervous to come closer. I smile and beckon them to come to me; they start running, laughing and screaming on the way. Immediately they start going on and on in broken French/Malaganese and pointing to the water, while simultaneously stripping down to their birthday suit. I may not speak a word of either of those languages, but I got the point, they wanted to go in the water with me. So, off we went… communicating between French, Malagansese, English, a few hand signals and the famous strategy of speaking louder when the other can’t understand (I always find that hilarious-I mean, if you can’t speak the language, the tone will make absolutely no difference-right? LOL), we played and splashed in the shallow waters on the coast of Madagascar.

My next instinct is obviously to start teaching them proper swimming technique. I was completely in my element. Even without being able to verbally communicate to them-I managed to teach all three girls freestyle breathing and a little bit of backstroke. I felt like I was on cloud nine. They were amazing too…I would just swim a little bit and motion what I was trying to show them, and then they would mimick me. It took a while, but eventually they all got it and the look on their faces afterwards was priceless I every sense of the word. In between time we played chicken fight and I let them jump off my shoulders like I used to do with my daddy when I was little. They were so comfortable in the water, I threw the smaller ones out of my hands flying into the water. They loved it. Before I knew it there were three more girls that had joined the crowd. We played and swam for about an hour before I realized that the ship would be leaving soon!

I was so sad to leave, and that I had nothing with me to give them. Before I left, one of the little girls-Meriana, gave me a ring made from palm tree frawns. She slipped it on my right ring finger and kissed my hand before I walked away. I’m sure my story writing skills have not done this justice, but I was seriously at a loss for words during this experience. On my walk back I kept thinking I wish I had something to leave with them, some money, food, clothing-something. But then I realized that I had given them something so invaluable- I had empowered them. The difference in the demeanor of the group before and after our time together was huge. The look on their faces after accomplishing those strokes was heavenly. It was more than I could ever ask for in an afternoon. It gave me hope, that I can make a difference, somewhere, somehow-you just have to open your eyes and your heart. I mean, who would’ve though I would end up teaching swimming on the shores of Tolognaro to children who don’t speak English?

And this, this story is definitely just the beginning… 

3 comments:

  1. In the end, you did help the kiddies. Remember the best things in life aren't things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Alana! Such a sweet and shaping experience.

    ReplyDelete