December 11, 2011

Madagascar Expedition 12-1-11


We are now in full expedition mode in Madagascar until Dec 14th. If you’re wondering what “expedition mode” is, basically it means that we travel from day to day around the Island of Madagascar to remote areas where we have to anchor. Once we’re anchored, residents, guests and crew go ashore in zodiacs (those little dingy boats) for various overland tours, hikes… ‘expeditions’. We have a special team onboard during this time leading most of the tours and as crew, our only way to go ashore is to sign up to help with life jackets and beach landings of the zodiac boats.

Strangely enough, most people don’t want to sign up! More space for me! I try to get off every break I get, or even sometimes during work if they need help. Yesterday was the first day and I went ashore a few hours before my shift and I decided to just casually follow along one of the hikes with the residents. Weeks before arriving to Madagascar we were warned time and time again about the malaria problem and dengue fever problem with the mosquitoes there and to wear loads of bug spray and clothes to cover up. I mean, there were announcements, notices, emails, you name it…there was no way you couldn’t know….or so I thought. The three member band, who is onboard for 5 weeks came along the hike as well… the sole girl member showed up in booty shorts, a tang top and strappy sandles! Oh-and did I mention her sole mean of taking pictures was a blackberry?
Let me just give you a quick visual of this hike… this was no nicely laid out path with signs or water breaks. I mean we were trekking up a mountain, no trail.. no steps, no nothing. It was pretty cool, we saw leemurs which are native to Madagascar one of the only places that have them. Camellions, snakes, spiders…don’t remember the scienftic names of all these things-(sorry).

Anyways, half way through the hike I realize that it’s almost time for my shift…so yes, I turn around and venture back alone. A little scary, but definitely worth it…of course along the way the leemers decide to fight/play and make extremely loud noises…

After we got back, i started helping with the beach landings and hanging out with the locals in between. It was amazing, in between time we just sat on the beach watching the sunset eating one of the juciest pineapples I’ve ever tasted-even compared to Eleuthera pineapple which is sayin a lot! I got to go for a swim too-how many swimmers can say they trained in the beaches of Madagascar huh?

It reminds me so much of home…it’s weird how you can travel so far and feel so close to your roots. The only sad part was the little snorkeling I got to do, it seems that these areas have been so over fished that all that is left area a few small fish and sea urchins. Soon there won’t be anything left! 











No comments:

Post a Comment